This recipe was contributed by Angela Simpson, the blogger behind. To learn more about Angela, check out herand her!
As the temperature starts rising, so does the urge to hit the patio, invite some friends over for dinner, and enjoy the gorgeous sunshine. Potluck dinners and patio parties are two of my favorite things about summer, and when there’s delicious, good-for-you food involved, it makes these get-togethers even better. This salad is super easy to make and features plenty of in-season produce, including asparagus and arugula. It’s also vegan and vegetarian-friendly, so everyone at your next potluck can enjoy it!
Recipe: Arugula, Asparagus, and White Bean SaladPhoto by Angela Simpson
Makes 2 large salads
What You’ll Need:
4 cups arugula
1 cup white navy beans,cooked (or canned, rinsed and drained)
10 spears of asparagus (the thicker, the better), bottom ends trimmed off
1/2 cup red onion,very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
For the dressing:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 an orange, juiced
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 clove garlic,minced
A few pinches of sea salt and black pepper
What to Do:
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave asparagus into long, thin ribbons. This is most easily done if you place the asparagus on a cutting board, holding the stem end with your fingers. Run the peeler down the length of each spear.
- Use the same peeler to cut the carrot into ribbons, twisting as you go to keep the pieces thin.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, beans, asparagus, carrot, and red onion. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing. Drizzle it on top of the salad and toss to coat.
- Divide salad between 2 large bowls and enjoy!
Looking for more dishes to bring to your next potluck event? Try these!
Video: Arugula Salad with Parma Ham and White Beans
How I Stayed Fearless and Fabulous in the Face of Breast Cancer
Metabolism Myths Busted
Intermediate Half-Marathon Training Schedule
How to Select and Use Leeks
Why Foam Rolling Before Bed Can Relieve Stress and Help You Sleep Better
7 Prediabetes Symptoms You Shouldnt Ignore
How to Cook Oatmeal Perfectly Every Time
Elise Boni Was a 26-Year-Old Marathon Runner—She Never Imagined Shed Have to Relearn to Walk
Wedding Tips Etiquette – Invitations
Dos and Don’ts While Dating With Aries Man
How to Make YOUR Body Look Its Best in a Swimsuit