Camber - the convergence of the wheels of the car with their own hands
If you notice that the car leads away for no apparent reason, or the tires on the front wheels wear unevenly - it's time to check the camber - toe-in. Modern motorists are accustomed to do everything in the service station. Fortunately, every 500 meters you can see the signs: "3D camber." Is an expensive service really necessary, or can you perform this procedure yourself?The difference in distance from the fishing line to the front or rear edge of the disc is calculated as well as for the collapse. Of course, not in degrees, but in millimeters. Carefully rotate the coupling of the convergence unit (in different models, the auto-construction may differ). And we achieve the correct installation angle. The procedure must be repeated several times, checking the distances on both edges. When you turn the wheel, both distances change.
- The stand for checking and setting the wheel angles certainly simplifies the process itself. The car is strictly horizontal, the front wheels are located on rotating discs. In addition, thanks to the laser measurement system, the accuracy is quite high. There is no need to delve into the tables of the corners, and try them on your car, the information is in the databases. This is the positive side.
- On the other hand, despite all this electronics, and “laser guidance systems,” the nuts are turned by an ordinary mechanic. Often questionable qualifications.So the error is not determined by the cost of the equipment, but by the directness (or curvature) of the mechanic’s hands. All this equipment is intended to speed up the process and its commercialization. If the alignment of the wheel alignment angles on the stand takes no more than 30 minutes, then in the conditions of the garage you can spend a few hours. And if you do not have a hole, the process lasts even longer. As for the accuracy of measurements - the walls of houses, built on the water level and plumb, are no more curves than modern buildings, which were measured by a laser level.
- Our fathers and grandfathers did not hear anything about tricky stands, the queue at the service station was no less than in Lenin's mausoleum. Nevertheless, the cars drove smoothly and the tires wear out evenly (taking into account the shortage - the tires took care of each other).
How was it done?In the "Maintenance instructions" of the car, among other parameters, there are angles of collapse, convergence and castor. You do not have such a book? All right! Car dealers believe that the owner has the right only to turn the steering wheel and change gears. The rest should be done by an authorized service, and for your money. Therefore, only the "Operating Instructions" are attached to the new car.In which is described in detail how to switch radio channels on your multimedia system, and include heated seats. If you try, the information can be found on any brand of car. To begin with, let's define the terminology:
- The collapse is the angle of deflection of the wheel plane relative to the vertical. That is, the wheels are either "house" or "boat".
- Toe-in is the angle of deflection of the wheel plane relative to the longitudinal axis of the car. The wheels can be set strictly along the axis, or there is less distance between the leading edges than between the rear edges. Wheels look at one point on the horizon.
- Castor - the angle of deflection of the axis of rotation from the vertical. The axis is usually littered back. This option is not set at home.
Setting the collapseHaving obtained these figures (in degrees), we convert them to millimeters. To do this, draw an imaginary triangle (see illustration).
ConvergenceHere the procedure is much more complicated. First, prepare the surface under the front wheels. They should turn relatively easily. There are no rotating supports in the garage, therefore we smear the floors (you can put old linoleum pieces) with a soap solution.