Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 114 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 153 mg | Carbohydrates: 13 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints: 4
- 2 pounds big eggplants, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 big white onion, thinly sliced (use a sharp knife or a mandoline if possible)
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned and diced
- 1/8 cup fresh basil leaves
- 6 teaspoons coconut sugar or honey (can be adjusted according to taste)
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar (can be adjusted according to taste)
- In a bowl of salted water, soak the eggplants for about 10 minutes then drain.
- Over high heat, in a saucepan with a lot of olive oil, fry the eggplants in a saucepan until they turn brownish. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in another saucepan with a little bit of water, cook the onions.
- When the water evaporates, add the oil then put the heat down to low. Sautè until they become brownish.
- Add the tomato puree. Cook for about 15 minutes then turn off the fire. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a third cooking pot, put the celery then add some water until they are completely covered. Cook for about 15 minutes then add a pinch of salt. Drain then set aside.
- Meantime, rinse the capers under the faucet. Soak them in a bowl of water for about 10 minutes. Drain then squeeze out the water lightly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, sweetener and vinegar then set aside.
- Over high heat, in a big saucepan with olive oil, sautè the celery. Add the sauteed onions with tomato sauce then add a little bit of water. Add the basil and olives and mix. Add the eggplants.
- After about 10 minutes, add the sweetener & vinegar mixture. Adjust the taste according to your liking. Add more vinegar if you want it stronger or less if you want it to be less strong. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or cold. Caponata tastes better when cooked ahead, and even better after 24 hours.
Video: How to make Caponata - Recipe by Laura Vitale - Laura in The Kitchen Episode 62
How to Make Homemade Yoghurt Thicker
Mary-Kate and Ashley Were the Prettiest Bridesmaids at This Wedding
12Sports That Are Too Crazy toBeTrue
George Clooney will return to Darfur
8 STD Symptoms You Never Want To Ignore
10. Gucci Intense Oud
The Idris Elba Style Lookbook
How to Make Your Own Nail Polish Color
Ziedaar: het allerbeste Netflix-nieuws ooit
5 Sex Positions To Try When His Penis Is Way Too Big