How to align the ceiling?
Watch the video
The most common problem in the repair of apartments, both old and new, are uneven ceilings. This may be due to the poor quality of the slabs or the uneven processing of the seams between the slabs. Let's analyze in this article how to properly level the ceiling. To eliminate all the defects of the ceiling, you can use different types of work. Each of these types of work has both advantages and disadvantages. You need to choose the method you need based on financial possibilities, the size of the ceiling level drops, humidity in the room, etc.
"Wet types of work" are carried out using putty, plaster, etc. And for the "dry" use plastic or metal panels, drywall. In the first case, you can eliminate only small irregularities and differences in ceilings.
How to align the ceiling with their own hands
- First prepare the ceiling for the following procedures.
- Take a spatula or a chisel and remove the whitewash and plaster from the ceiling. If there are chalk streaks, then wash them off with water.
- After the cleaning is finished, you can begin marking the level of the ceilings. To do this, you can use the water level, which consists of two glass tubes interconnected by a third tube. Before leveling the ceiling, fill the level with water. The markup is carried out by 2 people. One must place a level pipe under the ceiling and mark the ceiling level on the wall. The second one, holding the other level tube, moves along the wall and also makes notes.
- After marking on the walls there will be mark points, which, with the help of a ruler, must be connected to each other.
- Measure the largest deviation value. For the dry type of work, it should not exceed five centimeters.
- To make the material cling better to the base, the ceiling should be primed. If you are doing repairs in the bathroom or in the kitchen, it is better to buy waterproofing putty.
- Alignment of the ceiling should be started only after the primer dries. In that case, if the roughness is from 2 to 5 cm, then you can use plaster, and if less, then putty. Considering how to level the ceiling with a putty, it is impossible not to clarify that the putties are different.There are starting and finishing. The first putty is used for irregularities up to 2 cm, and the second up to 2 mm.
- You should know that both plaster and putty are made on a cement or plaster basis.
- If the difference is more than 2 cm, then ceilings should be reinforced as a leveling material. To do this, use a metal or paint mesh. The metal mesh is attached to the ceiling with screws with wide caps, and the paint mesh must be glued to the ceiling.
- After the surface is animated, you can evenly apply plaster on the entire ceiling. After plastering the surface will not be completely smooth. For the best effect, go over the ceiling with a putty.
- Work must also begin with markup. Be sure to consider the distance from the lamp to the false ceiling.
- Profiles should be mounted on the walls with screws. Ceiling profiles are also mounted.
- Ceiling profiles will be inserted into the profile guides on opposite walls. Place them parallel to each other, given the distance.
- Attach the ceiling profiles to the ceiling using suspension brackets.
- Before installing the ceiling profiles, you need to mark the ceiling so that the drywall sheets dock within the profile. Otherwise, the surface will crack.
- The unregulated suspension is fixed with two anchors on the ceiling, the two sides need to be unbent at a right angle. Then the level is set and a suspension is attached to it.
- Installation of sheets of drywall need to deal with three. Two people hold a sheet, and the third, using screws, fastens it to the frame. The interval between the screws should be no more than 20 cm.
- After installation, the seams are sealed with masking tape.
Now you know how to level the ceiling.