How to apply decorative plaster?
Watch the video
All dream of a beautiful repair, which is made with taste and pleases the eye. Today there is a huge range of finishing materials for the walls. We will consider one of the most popular materials on the building materials market. It will be a question of decorative plaster, which is distinguished by its easy-to-use and remarkable appearance.
Decorative plaster is a coating that forms a certain texture on the surface, resembling a paste, but its composition may be different. Thanks to this finishing material, you can decorate the walls with various patterns and give the desired texture to the walls. It is important to know how to apply decorative plaster.
If you are wondering how to apply decorative plaster yourself, the answer is very simple. To do this, you need to select the appropriate material and, using the instructions, begin to work.
During the work you will need:
- Spatula, about 80 mm in size;
- Finisher (special tool that can be used for applying paintwork materials to the surface), size 40x140 mm;
- Thread roller (size 150 mm);
- Gladilka for putty;
- Bath sponge.
- First we clean the wall from wallpaper or paint with a spatula. It is worth remembering that all metal surfaces are best insulated. This must be done in order to avoid rust.
- Then we close up all the cracks that occur on the surface of the wall. This will help you plaster mix. If you have visible defects, you can hide them using plaster. Apply a primer to the work surface so that the plaster lays down well. It is recommended to apply the primer several times. After,as the surface dries, you can proceed to the most interesting - applying decorative plaster.
- In case you have dry plaster, it needs to be diluted. To do this, use the instructions on the packaging, since each manufacturer has different proportions and technologies for applying this material.If your plaster is ready for application, you only need to mix it for a few minutes. It is worth remembering that when applying plaster, the temperature should be no more than + 30 degrees, there should be no humidity in the room.
- With the masking tape we isolate everything that is adjacent to the place of processing the walls: doorways, sockets, switches. Next, put a plaster on the trowel with a metal spatula, a layer of not more than 2 mm. It is worth remembering that we put plaster from one corner of the wall to another.
- In order to create the desired extraordinary texture, we take polyethylene, which is larger than the plastered surface. We superimpose this material, starting from the corner, while the polyethylene itself must be wrinkled to make the texture more interesting and unusual.
- After that, glue the film over the plaster and form a picture: we make folds on the polyethylene.
- Leave to dry for about 15 hours and then remove the polyethylene.As a rule, under the film the entire surface does not dry out, so we wait another day for complete drying and remove the painting tape.
- If the wall is dry, the trowel must remove those parts of the drawing that are starting to split off. You can safely work as a trowel, because after drying the plaster is quite durable.This is different from other materials.
- Next we take the bottle and remove all the collected dust from the walls. We put the masking tape in the same places where it was before, because further the walls will be painted.
- At the very end we paint the walls in the color of your choice, but do not forget to prime the walls before this.
The method of applying decorative plaster
Application methods are distinguished by their diversity. Consider the easiest way.
For this method, you will need a cement or gypsum based putty.Apply a putty layer of 2-3 millimeters on a small area of the surface.
- We apply a clean trowel to the wall on the putty, making movements to give an unusual texture. You can apply a drawing herringbone, crosswise. If something didn�t work out for you, just make up for this place and start again.
- After the complete application of the material, you must wait a few days to completely dry the walls.
- We process the walls with a primer mixture and proceed to their painting.
- Use a good quality putty and paint, as poor quality materials will only spoil the whole process.
- Smoothers and spatulas should be perfectly flat, wipe them after each stage of work.
- It is better to put decorative plaster together: one master puts putty, and the second creates an invoice.
- Do not paint the coating before it is completely dry.
Thus, having mastered the practical and theoretical information, you can apply decorative putty on your own. Now it's time to actively act and turn your home into a cozy and beautiful corner.