How to archive a folder?
Watch the video
Archiver programs allow you to compress (reduce in size or volume) both individual documents and programs and folders. The archived folder can be mailed as a regular file. In addition, archiving folders is the only way to make a folder accessible only by password. Therefore, to know how to archive a folder, every user needs. We will tell you how to do this in the most popular archiver programs.
Archive the folder in the format "zip"
First you need to install the archiver on your computer. After installing the program, you will be able to archive files and folders through the context menu. To do this, just need to hover over a folder and click the right mouse button. A menu with several items will open. Depending on the selected item, we will launch one of the archiving options:
- Add to archive. In this case, we will open the archiving window, where we can give the archive a name, assign a password to it and adjust the compression level and other archive settings.
- Compress and email.Repeats the archiving function in the first paragraph and adds the ability for the same to send the archive by e-mail.
- Add to "... 7z" (... - folder name). The program independently performs archiving according to standard settings with assigning the archive name to the archive.
- Squeeze to "... 7z" (... - folder name) and send by email. Repeats the archiving function in the previous paragraph and adds the ability for the same file to send the archive by e-mail.
- Add to ".... zip" (... - folder name). The program creates an archive in zip format with the default settings.
- Add to ".... zip" (... - folder name) and send by email. Repeats the archiving function in the previous paragraph and adds the ability for the same file to send the archive by e-mail.
Archiving a folder in the format "rar"
To be able to archive folders in this format, you need to install an archiver. You can also archive files via the context menu. Items with archiving options will be similar to menu items when archiving in “zip” format. So you can create an archive with standard settings or choose the archiving option by the specified parameters.