How to Be Kotonaru (Different)
Have you ever wanted to be part of Japanese culture and American culture, but don't want to be called a poser or fake? Or maybe you're just looking for something different to try? Well, welcome to the world of the Kotonarus, a growing population of teens that want to "fit in" in their own way.
First off, Kotonaru means different in Japanese.
As the name might imply, Kotonarus love Japanese culture.So, if you don't already, watch anime and read manga. And don't be afraid to watch Japanese dramas and movies, too. Even if it's rated "M for mature audiences", if you can handle it, watch/read it.
We Kotonarus are very creative and talented.Whether you draw, paint, write, whatever, show it off. If you don't find yourself artistic, then consider buying art that you like.
Now back to manga.We Kotonarus like light and fluffy, but we also like dark sides. Reading manga like Full Moon wo Sagashite, Clannad, and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World should get you off to a good start. Also check out Rumiko Takahashi's work.
Some of us enjoy video games, others don't.Whatever suits you.
Now for clothes.Kotonarus generally stay away from name brands(except Converse) and go for the cheap stuff. As I said, we like cute with a dark side. So a t-shirt with a skeleton bunny is perfect. Kotonarus are generally casual. We tend to wear colors like blues and purples, reds and pink, yellows and greens. If it is a bright color, Kotonarus usually wear a dark color with it, to mix things up. We sometimes wear skirts, as long as there not too short. Unless, of course, we find it totally cute and think it looks like the skirt from Clannad.
You could walk the streets of both Japan and America and find the most horrifying thing in the world:overdone make-up. Kotonarus like to keep things natural. Show off your cuteness as much as possible!
Now, onto music.Kotonarus can find at least one artist/band in almost every genre that we like. We usually listen to things that don't hit the radio much. The songs we listen to have a special meaning to us.
Kotonarus are not really picky about what we eat.Since most of us are still in school, we either eat the school's lunch, or pack whatever we want in a bag. We like Japanese sweets like Pocky and Yan Yan.
Carry around a tote bag.Put the Japanese characters for Kotonaru on it. Fill it with things like plushies, sketchpads, your PC, anything or everything that you love.
Kotonarus love books.Keep one in that tote bag. Whatever you're into, read it. Even if the vampires sparkle.
Even if your other friends aren't Kotonaru, don't ditch them unless they ditch you.Friends are forever.
Lastly, Kotonarus are never alone.Grab a friend and try it out with him/her, but if it's not them then don't force them. Let them be themselves.
- Kotonarus value attitude over looks. Don't worry about what you look like. Who you are on the inside is what counts.
- Kotonarus love coffee, but it is no good for you so try drinking chocolate milk, as long as it has a lot of sugar in it. So carrying a travel coffee mug to school in the morning is good.
- Have an iPod/MP3/CD player with you at all times.
- Learn how to write "Kotonaru" in Japanese. Google Translate will help. Having this on a notebook, messenger bag, necklace (be creative) is a dead give away.
- Get some color extensions in your favorite color if you want.
- Kotonarus are always nice until someone makes them mad. They then say: "Mess with me again, remember that I have plenty of closet space". See how they like that.
- has some cool stuff that is "cute with a dark side". And it's all original.
- has some funny icons. Check them out.
- If there is something in here that isn't you, then don't do it! Remember: Kotonaru is about being different!
- Don't see this as rebellion. Still listen to your parents/boss.
- If this isn't you, don't waste your time reading this. Go find yourself.
Video: Kotonaru 異なる
Short Sleepers vs. Long Sleepers: Guess Who Lives Longer and Why
Water is better than nothing
13Celebrities Who Used toLive onthe Street and Now Own Mansions
The Right Body Language for Every Situation
Womens Via Spiga Faux Fur Vest, Size Medium - Brown
Extreme Beauty Transformation: A Floral-InspiredTimelapse
How to Help Loved Ones with Schizoaffective Disorder
How Gut Microbes Can Change the Brain
How to Talk to Your Girlfriend on the Phone
Elisabeth Moss is not here for your Scientology and The Handmaids Tale comparisons
13 Times Gigi and Zayn Were the Most Stylish CoupleEver