How to Buy a Jockstrap
Jockstraps are typically worn by males participating in sports, athletics, or other vigorous activities. This undergarment provides support by holding the penis, testicles, and scrotum close to the body, protecting these sensitive parts from harm. What's more, many jocks have a pouch where you can insert a protective cup to further protect your genitals from direct blows. To ensure you purchase the right jockstrap, you should familiarize yourself with the different styles of jock and cup. After that, you can make use of techniques to improve the protection, comfort, and support of your jockstrap.
Finding the Right Jockstrap
Search for a jockstrap from a physical store.Most sports, sporting goods, and athletics stores will carry jockstraps. You'll also likely be able to find this garment in the athletics section of most general clothing retailers, like Kohl's, Target, Walmart, and so on.
- Buying from a physical store gives you a chance to evaluate the fabric and size. As the jockstrap cradles your genitals, comfort and a good fit are important.
- At physical stores, you'll also be able to ask questions to store representatives who will likely be able to help steer you in the right direction.
- If you feel nervous or self-conscious purchasing this garment in person, you may want to purchase one online. However, many men wear jockstraps both for athletic and style purposes. You don't need to feel shy about inquiring about this article of clothing.
Find a wide selection of jockstraps online.Online sellers often offer special deals that can cut down on the expense of your purchases. These kinds of stores generally have a larger selection from you to choose from, meaning you have a better chance of finding what you want.
- A downside to buying a jockstrap online, especially if this is your first time purchasing one, is that you won't get a chance to evaluate the cut and quality of it before you buy it.
- If you're trying to find the best deal, look up jockstraps on several different sites and do a keyword search for "coupons for [jockstrap site name]".
Select a material that matches your activity.If you're planning on wearing a jockstrap as part of your daily outfit, whether for fashion or support, you'll want to choose one that is made of a comfortable material, like cotton or a cotton blend. Materials that wick moisture away from the body and keep it from the skin, like rayon or spandex, provide better ventilation for more physical activities.
- "Wicking" is a special term used for active wear designed with special fabrics. These pull moisture to the outer layer of the fabric to keep your skin dry.
Navigate the many options of fashion jocks.There is little regulation of the terms used in the jockstrap industry. The styles of some brands might be unique or called by different names than other brands. Many fashion jocks are classified by the following features:
- Color. Fashion jocks usually have a much wider variety of colors available to choose from, whereas sports jocks are generally plain, solid colors, like black and white.
- Style. The different styles of jock can range from more boxer shorts-esque designs to a scanty, thong-like briefs.
- Pouch type. The differences in pouch type aren't always obvious, and many focus on a specific feature, like comfort or package presentation. Some types include original, snug, and contour.
Know your size range.The size listed on your jockstrap will only pertain to the waistband size. The cup will either be a separate part, or listed separated on the jockstrap packaging. Cups should hold your genitals completely, comfortably, and snugly. Leg straps should be tight enough to prevent twisting. Many brands of jock make use of brand-particular size ranges, so be sure to check the size range. In most cases, though, you can expect:
- Small sizes to range between 20 and 26 in (50.8 and 66 cm).
- Medium sizes to range between 26 and 32 in (66 and 81.3 cm).
- Large sizes to range between 32 and 38 in (81.3 and 96.5 cm).
- XL sizes to range between 38 and 44 in (96.5 and 111.8 cm).
- Cups generally have four sizes also: peewee (ages 5-7), youth (ages 8-12), teen (13-15) and adult (age 16 and above).
Substitute athletic briefs for a jock, alternatively.Everyone's body is different, and it's possible that a jockstrap might not be comfortable for you If this is the case for you, the athletic brief is an excellent substitute that's more similar to conventional underwear.
- Not all athletic briefs come with cups. If you are playing a sport that requires a groin protector, be sure you purchase a pair that comes with a cup.
Determining Whether to Use a Cup/Protector
Wear jockstraps without a cup for running intensive activities.Though a protective cup is sometimes required for certain activities, cups can chafe, cause heat to build up more than usual, and can sometimes be uncomfortably bulky. Activities like track and field, basketball, rollerblading, and so on, are better suited to cup-less jocks.
Prioritize cups for projectile/ball activities.Projectiles, like balls, pucks, and so on, can pick up a great deal of speed. These projectiles can become deadly to the more delicate parts of your body, especially your genitals. Wear a jockstrap with a cup for sports like:
Choose between styles of cup.Cups are made out of hard plastic or metal, and have small holes in the cup material for ventilation. For low contact activities where you still want some protection, you might use a soft cup or flex cup, which are more comfortable. Depending on the jockstrap you buy, you'll likely have two styles of cup to choose from:
- The traditional protective cup is an upside down pear shaped, hollow, plastic cover. This style is ideal for most genital sizes and shapes.
- The banana cup has a longer up-and-down shape than the traditional cup. This style is most suitable for larger genitalia, especially genitals that are longer than average.
Improving Protection, Comfort, and Support
Layer your undergarments.The more layers of undergarment you wear, the more support you'll receive. Athletes will often wear more than one pair of undergarment for precisely this purpose. For example, for extra support you might:
- Wear a pair of compression shorts under your jockstrap and a cup too, if necessary.
- Wear a pair of snug, but still comfortable, briefs or athletic trunks underneath your jockstrap.
Choose narrower protective cups for young kids.Children, not having gone through puberty yet, will not need as much space in their protective cup. Children can also be more prone to clothing irritation or discomfort, like what might be experienced with a cup. A narrow cup will be less bulky and more comfortable.
Utilize specialized jocks for sports specific purposes.There are many examples of specialized jockstraps, and one of the best examples of this comes from hockey. Because hockey players wear so much padding to keep warm and protect themselves from damaging hockey pucks, hockey jocks often have special clips or garters to help hold up socks and keep your gear tight to your body. Two common other varieties of jock include.
- Swim jocks, which generally have a narrower waistband than traditional kinds of jockstrap.
- Windproof jocks, which include a layer of cloth or fabric to provide additional protection against wind and cold in winter sports.
QuestionI have a hernia. Would a jockstrap would help?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe support and strain prevention you'll receive from wearing a jock may help prevent hernia related discomfort, However, as pressure from the jock may aggravate the condition, you should consult a doctor to figure out the best treatment.Thanks!
QuestionIs it okay to put a teen or youth cup on a medium sized jock strap?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. If the cup is able to fit in the jock strap, and the whole thing stays in place, that's fine. Otherwise, try a smaller jockstrap or a bigger cup.Thanks!
QuestionWhy are they called swim jocks and not running jocks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA swim jock is wore under a Speedo style swimsuit. It has a narrower waist band than the traditional sports jock. Runners do wear them under running shorts. The narrow waist band works great for the comfort and movement needed while running.Thanks!
QuestionMy package is very large. I've been unsuccessful finding a comfortable cup and/or jock. Any suggestions?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf all the cups are too small for your genitals then you must find much larger ones. Keep going up in size of the cup if they won't fit you until you find the one you are comfortable in.Thanks!
QuestionWhere can I buy one in person?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMost athletics and sporting goods stores sell jockstraps. You should also be able to find a jock in the "athletics" section of most large clothiers, like Kohls, JC Penny, and so on.Thanks!
QuestionCan I wear a jockstrap all day for support?Jdej10Community AnswerYes, you can, just make sure you wash it daily to prevent bacteria from growing.Thanks!
QuestionDo I need to use a jockstrap for high school soccer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends, if you want extra protection than yes but check with your coach to see if you need one if you’re not sure.Thanks!
QuestionI'm an adult and am embarrassed that I fit nicely inside a teen size athletic cup. Should I still buy the adult size cup even though it's too big or go with the proper fitting athletic cup?Justin E.Community AnswerGo with the cup that fits you best. Don't hurt yourself because of pride, no one will care what size you are wearing/buying. The only thing that matters is that it fits and protects you.Thanks!
QuestionMy balls are to big. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf your testicles are too large for your jockstrap or its cup, you'll have to purchase a larger size.Thanks!
QuestionCan I wear a jockstrap without a cup?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSure. You can buy jocks with or without cup "pockets". Some cup jock are comfortable even without a cup in place.Thanks!
Video: How to Buy a Jockstrap
6 Common Signs Of Chronic Fatigue You Should Know
The 10 Healthiest Food Combos Ever
10 Female Celebrities Who Opened Up About Their Battle with HairLoss
Williams-Sonoma Is Hiring Work-From-Home Holiday Positions
Scientists Are Getting Closer To Reversing Hair Loss—And More Health News
Jill Duggar Shares a Photo of Her Slightly Bruised Baby, Spawns Massive Internet Attack
Say Hello To Top Gears Newest Presenters
Roasted Beet and Mizuna Salad
Deep Fried Zucchini Sticks Recipe
How to Post a Job Online
Get a Peek Into This Rustic-Chic Winter Wedding inMalibu
Fast Food Revealed: Real vs. Ads
Smoked Turkey Salad
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra