How to choose a scale?
What unites women who follow the slimness of their figure and love to cook a lot of new various dishes? Libra! If the former measure their weight with the help of this device, then the latter have the opportunity to get accurate information about the weight of the products, which will allow to observe the recipe of this or that dish. Today we will talk about how to choose scales - good, accurate, comfortable and beautiful.
Any scales have a number of basic characteristics, according to which you need to choose a device: basis (mechanics or electronics), measurement error, maximum weight, volume of scales and their memory, additional functions and design.
Scales to control your weight
These are floor scales. How to choose them correctly? Consider all the points.
This refers to mechanical or electronic scales. Mechanical scales work by pressure on the spring, which causes the measuring arrow to move in one direction or another. Advantages of mechanical scales: convenience and ease of use, low cost, do not require additional cash costs for batteries and electricity. The disadvantages of mechanical scales: a small number of functions, a large error in measurement.
Work of electronic scales is much more difficult and multifunctional. Advantages of electronic scales: have a separate display, on which the measurement result is displayed; small measurement error; the possibility of additional useful features; stylish design. Cons of electronic scales: high, compared with mechanical, cost; require additional energy costs or batteries.
Electronic scales are modern, give the most accurate results, help to determine many other parameters, in addition to weight. If you are going to purchase such a device, then you need to know how to choose electronic scales. Here is some information about them:
- An additional function of such scales is the recording and storage of weighing results. Advanced scales can store up to several weight stories of different people. That is, several people can use the weights, while maintaining the result of each weighing. And each of them will be able to see how his weight has changed over a period of time. Such scales accurately store this information, not allowing it to mix with data about another user.Smart scales can even recognize a particular user by weighing. Of course, the more information about different users can store scales, the more expensive they are. Therefore, if you choose scales only for yourself, it is easier to abandon this function. If you have a large family, and everyone wants to know your weight, then take exactly such scales.
- Most modern scales are also equipped with a special analyzer, which is able to calculate the body mass index and determine whether you have enough or not. He is also able to analyze the distribution of muscles, bone tissue, fat and indicate where their deficiency, and where - the excess.
- Weight control function. Good scales store information about the weight of their user and calculate the weight norm for it. If suddenly at any weighing the weight will be lower or higher than the normal values, the balance will alert you about this with alarms.
- The presence of the monitor will allow you to conveniently monitor your weight. It is located so that you can comfortably observe the indicators without leaning or squatting. This is the advantage of electronic scales. After all, such movements can distort the results of weighing, but they are inevitable if you are weighed without any help on a mechanical scale.
- Automatic on or off - there is such a function, but it is rather a pleasant bonus, rather than a really important and useful thing.
- Design. Now the scales are made in different styles and from different materials. You can choose any: classic, simple, fancy, made of wood, stone, etc.
When choosing scales, be guided by the number of people who will use them, personal preferences and expectations. If you need only an exact result of your own weight, then choose unpretentious classical form scales, but a good firm. If you want to seriously plunge into a healthy lifestyle and monitor the health of your body, then the additional functions will help you as well as possible.
How to choose the right scales so that they give the most accurate readings? Find and buy scales with the smallest error. Remember that one hundred percent purity measurement does not happen. If the documentation of the device is written in this way, then the manufacturer of a half-cube, and it is better not to take such scales. Scales of an initial class are capable to be mistaken for 500 g, more advanced - for 300-100. In addition, some scales have a double error, which must also be specified. For example, in measuring weight up to 100 kg. one error. And when measuring weight over 100 kg.it becomes even more, which is associated with a large weight.
Scales are not an omnipotent instrument, and each of them has a maximum allowable weight, above which they cannot measure. Choose the most appropriate options for you. Usually the maximum weight ranges from 100 to 220 kg.
These are the main characteristics of floor scales. It is clear that the more functions, the more accurate and diverse they are, the more expensive the device will cost.
Scales to the kitchen
How to choose a kitchen scale? The basis is the same parameters as in the previous case, but the requirements will be different.
For kitchen scales, the minimum and maximum allowable weighing is important. The smaller the minimum and the larger the maximum, the better the scale. Ideally, the minimum limit should be less than 1 g, and the maximum limit should be at least 3-5 kg. For those who are fond of homework, scales up to 5 kg will be good. Those who do not make blanks, such scales are almost not needed, so you can take the device up to 3 kg.
Mechanics or electronics
Here the choice is yours. It will depend on personal preferences, the thickness of your wallet and the number of functions you would like to see.You can read about the advantages and disadvantages of mechanical and electronic scales above in our article in the column “Type of scales”. They will be the same for both floor and kitchen scales. Electronic kitchen scales can have a number of additional functions:
- Sequential weighing. With it, you can weigh one product after another, without removing it from the cup. For example, you weighed one, then zeroed and put a new one next to it, weighed it and found out the weight of a new product, nullified again, etc.
- Auto power on / off.
- Calibration function, which allows to measure the capacity without taking into account packaging or dishes.
- Built-in timer.
- Measurement of fluid (its volume).
- Selection of different units of measurement.
- Maximum overload indicator.
- The summation of the nutritional value of the products weighed.
- "Diet" function that helps to find out the content and amount of fat, carbohydrates, proteins, cholesterol and calories in a particular product.
Platform or bowl
On the platform, it is more convenient to measure products in large containers, and in general, platforms are more convenient to use. The bowl helps to measure products without dishes, it is very convenient when kneading dough.
The choice of modern scales is quite wide: there is everything your heart desires.Kitchen scales are made of plastic, stainless steel, glass, wood. Scales can be of different shapes and shades. When choosing a device, pay attention to usability, strength of the material, and only then to the design.
We told you about the main characteristics of the scales. We hope that our article has helped you to fully learn how to choose a scale!