How to choose vegetables?
No one will argue that fresh vegetables are very healthy. They contain vitamins, minerals and fiber. Doctors advise every person to eat raw vegetables daily - this will help reduce the risk of various diseases, strengthen the immune system and prolong youth.
Unfortunately, the stores often sell vegetables grown using various chemicals, for example, nitrates and pesticides. Nitrates are added to vegetables so that they grow faster. Pesticides are toxic substances that kill plant pests. Undoubtedly, these substances are toxic, and for the human body and can be the cause of serious poisoning. Here we will give tips on how to choose vegetables without nitrates and other chemicals.
How to choose vegetables: tips
- Color and smell. If a vegetable has a non-standard color, for example, too bright, then surely it is stuffed with chemistry. Vegetables that are grown in natural conditions, do not look like the picture. They usually have a dull inconspicuous color. Coloring should be uniform, without stains, especially it concerns root crops.Do not buy potatoes, on the skin of which visible green spots. This indicates that the root was stored in the light and in the pulp developed poison - corned beef. Natural vegetables should smell, albeit slightly. If the smell is completely absent, then the product is processed by chemistry.
- The form. Avoid giant vegetables and vegetables that are too regular. Sometimes in the store you can see rows of perfectly even large, large, bright red tomatoes with a glossy shine. Do you think these can grow in nature?
- Greenhouse vegetables. Vegetables grown in the greenhouse, do not have the beneficial qualities that are vegetables grown in open ground. They do not receive enough light, heat, and the soil in which they grow is poor in minerals. Therefore, the nutritional value of greenhouse vegetables is much less than normal. Try not to abuse greenhouse vegetables. So, greenhouse greens and lettuce have a pale color, tomatoes and citrus fruits have too thick skin - nitrates accumulate in it.
- Vegetable store. To choose the right vegetables, you need to learn how to determine how long the vegetable has been in storage.Sometimes vegetables are stored there for 5-6 months. Naturally, the vegetables lay so long and not spoiled, they are treated with various chemicals. In addition, the room is constantly maintained at high humidity, so that the vegetables are not dried. With such humidity, there is an active reproduction of pathogenic fungi and bacteria. Antibacterial processing of vegetables does not pass without a trace. Pay attention: if there are cracks, dents, abrasions, color heterogeneity on the skin of vegetables, then such vegetables should not be bought.
- Try to buy vegetables for the season, better than local producers. If the vegetable is grown where you live, then it does not need chemical treatment in order to transfer long-term transportation and storage.
- Rely on your feelings. If you see that the vegetable is sluggish, with black dots, spots, then do not buy it. Also avoid vegetables that have a strange chemical taste or smell.