How to collect seeds?
Experienced gardeners and gardeners prefer to independently collect the seeds of their favorite plants for planting and reproduction. In addition to saving money, this process is just fun. Those who want to grow a plant from a tiny seed need to know how to collect the seeds of various cultivated and ornamental plants.
Benefits of harvesting seeds
Despite the large selection of ready-made seeds in the markets and in stores, the independent collection of seed funds for planting next season has several advantages:
- domestic seeds have the best germination, as among the purchased ones, there are often expired specimens or a regrading;
- grown seedlings are more resistant to diseases;
- the best healthy specimens are selected for harvesting seeds, which makes it possible to get a good harvest;
- own seeds guarantee obtaining plants of the desired type.
How to collect seeds of cultivated plants
Cultivated plants or crops are grown to produce food, drugs or raw materials. These include cereals, melons, vegetables and other crops.Many of them are planted at their dacha and household plots.
For the collection of seeds are selected healthy fruits collected from the lower branches of the bush. Fruits must be well shaped and have pronounced characteristics of this variety. You should not use hybrid plants for harvesting seeds, as well as fruits from 2-3 branches, as it will not be possible to get a pure variety of tomatoes. The process of collecting tomato seeds is the most time consuming and consists of several stages:
- collect brown fruits and let them ripen in heat;
- cut the tomato across and squeeze the pulp with the juice;
- To get rid of the seed coat, which contains substances that prevent sprouting, cover the container with the gauze squeezed out by the pulp and put in a dark place for 2-3 days. Fermentation should take place in its own juice without adding water;
- when the seeds sink to the bottom, and bubbles and film form on the surface, the seeds can be separated;
- pour off the fermented mass, fill the seeds with clean water and rinse;
- To separate the germinating seeds from the empty ones, make a saline solution (1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of water) and lower the seeds into it. Floated seeds can be thrown away;
- rinse the seeds that have sunk to the bottom and spread them on cotton fabric;
- After the water is absorbed, spread the seeds in a thin layer on paper and dry for several days, stirring occasionally.
Tomato seeds are afraid of moisture. Therefore, they need to be stored in paper bags. The greatest germination give the seeds of the first 4 years of storage.
Seed cucumber should be smooth with no signs of illness. Choose a suitable fruit on the garden and label it (tie the stem with ribbon), since it should ripen on the garden. A ripe cucumber must have a yellow or brown color and become soft to collect seeds. For confidence, the cucumber can be kept on the windowsill for 2 weeks.
Cut the cucumber lengthways and select seeds from it, cover them with water and leave for 2 days. To separate the empty cucumber seeds, brine must be richer than that of tomatoes (2 tablespoons per cup of water). Rinse off the seeds on the bottom and spread out to dry. Cucumber seeds are preserved for 2-3 years.
To collect seeds, select the largest fruit. Remove from it a spoon with seeds and pulp and place in a glass jar, cover the jar with gauze and let stand for several days in the sun. When the seeds are fermented, rinse them in a sieve under running water and dry.Planting pumpkin seeds is possible only after 2 years. They are stored for about 7 years.
Before planting, pumpkin seeds are disinfected for 20 minutes in a 1% solution of potassium permanganate or soaked for 10 hours in a solution of soda (2 g soda per cup of water).
How to collect the seeds of ornamental plants
Ornamental plants are grown to decorate residential and office space, as well as for the design of parks or garden areas. Methods of collecting the seeds of most ornamental plants are fairly simple, but have their own characteristics depending on the structure of the inflorescences.
Seeds of asters are faded baskets, in the middle of which appeared fluff. Gather them gradually as the flowers wilt. In adverse weather, you can make a collection before the appearance of the gun.
The name of the plant means �touchy� and is associated with the features of the seed box, which can burst in the hands of any careless touch. Seeds usually propagate garden plant species. Fleshy seed fruits break when the box begins to lighten.
Seeds of marigolds are harvested after the inflorescences wither and the seed boll turns yellow.They are very afraid of high humidity, so when rainy weather, it is necessary to disrupt the inflorescences immediately after the petals began to fade.
Petunia seeds ripen about 3 months from the beginning of flowering. At the same time ripe seeds are distributed unevenly over the stalk. Matured seed boxes are very fragile, so you need to collect them carefully.