How to format a USB flash drive in NTFS?
Watch the video
By default, the USB flash drive uses the FAT or FAT32 file system. NTFS has advantages over them (for more details, see How to format a USB flash drive), so many people want to learn how to format a USB flash drive in NTFS.
How to format a USB flash drive: instructions
The instructions will use the Windows XP interface to describe this process:
- Insert the USB flash drive into the USB-connector.
- Open the “Device Manager” (coordinates: “Control Panel” → “System” → “Hardware” tab).
- Expand the tab "Disk devices" and find our flash drive there. Right-click on the line with it (open the dialog box) and select the item "Properties".
- Open the "Policy" tab. We put the switch opposite the words "Optimize for execution". Click "OK".
- Open "My Computer". Open the dialog box flash drives and select the item "Format ..."
- In the drop-down list "File system" select item "NTFS". If necessary, perform other settings. Click "Start".
- After the end of formatting, open the properties of your flash drive in the “Device Manager” again.
- Open the "Policy" tab. We put the switch opposite the words "Optimize for quick removal." Click "OK".
- You can close all unnecessary windows.