How to make a flash drive?
Watch the video
Our article, dear reader, will tell you about a very exciting lesson that can even turn into a hobby. Today, we will deal with how the flash drive is made, its internal structure, various engineering techniques of its realization in real life. After reading this article, you will be able to assemble a USB flash drive from scratch from virtually any material. So let's get started:
USB flash drive with your own hands!
I think everyone understands that if these “their hands” do not grow from the shoulders, but from another place, then it is best to hand over the design of the flash drive to your more skilled comrade. If, however, your case is reversed, here's what you can do.
The essence of creating a new flash drive is to disassemble the old one. Why do you need it? The fact is that the electronic filling of the old flash drive will be the main component of your future product. Although, if you are able to solder a working electronic circuit yourself, you are welcome. So, the first step is to get the contents from the old flash drive and put it on the new case.
Then begins the free flight of fancy, as there is an unlimited number of options for the new hull. We will try with you to make a flash drive, or rather its case, of wood. Gradually:
- As the main working material, you can use the most ordinary wooden ruler. A prerequisite - the ruler must be free of cracks and other serious damage. In addition, as tools we need a jigsaw, a file, sandpaper, glue.
- Take a ruler and cut it into four equal parts. By the way, you can choose the size of these parts. They can be both long and short. The main thing is that they were able to close the case of the electronic part of our future flash drive. Also, these blanks can be cut at your discretion and design. This can be done with a jigsaw or file.
- The third step is perhaps the most difficult. In each of the blanks, you need to cut out the notches for the details of the flash drive. This can be done with the help of metal cloth.
- Make sure that the details of the flash drive and its "body" fit tightly into the body of the tree. Otherwise, your flash drive will hang when used, which will soon lead to the expected results.
- With the help of metal cloth, it is necessary to cut out all the necessary elements in all blanks.
- The next step is gluing. Before this, it is necessary to try on all the details among themselves and see the problem areas that need improvement. After this check is carried out and all parts fit, you can begin to pasting.
- The most successful variant of glue is, of course, glue for wooden products. In general, given the small size of our flash drive, any super glue is useful. Carefully apply a small amount of glue at the junction of all parts, insert the electronic filling and connect the elements.
- After the glue dries, you can proceed to the final design of all the details of our flash drives. This is where the file and sandpaper come in handy. The first to bring the shape of the flash drive to the desired. Well, the second to give the product smoothness.
- The cover of the flash drive can be made from the same line, but already smaller. The technology of creation remains the same.
- It should be noted that the cover should fit snugly to the nest of the flash drive, since it is this structural element that serves as protection against damage. In order to hide the gap between the case and the lid, as a rule, they use a plastic card lining, which must also be glued.As a prevention of mechanical damage, you can cover our product with several layers of varnish. It will also save from moisture.
As already noted, this method of manufacturing the case is not the only one. Craftsmen, who feel confident when working with wood, can use wooden bars instead of a ruler. Undoubtedly, such material will be more reliable and durable. Do not forget that you can make a variety of lining on the body of the flash drive. It can be metal strips, or plastic patterns with ready-made household appliances. All in your hands. In addition, you can try yourself in woodcarving directly on the finished case, however, it will not be easy, given the very small size of our product.