How to plant strawberries?
The most common way of planting strawberries is rooting the whiskers of seedlings already purchased. But repeatedly there are cases when you buy one variety, but in fact it grows completely different. Therefore, the most proven method - planting seeds. We suggest to learn more about how to plant strawberries in this way.
Not many gardeners know how to plant strawberries with seeds, but the method is quite simple and does not require much effort.
- Begin to plant seeds in January (February). For proper sowing, a drainage layer (1-2 cm) should be poured on the bottom of the wooden box, and 10 to 15 centimeters of fertile soil should be added on top of it.
- Then the soil should be compacted by making shallow rows in it (0.5 centimeters deep).
- The resulting grooves need to be poured with water and seeds are planted in them, covering them with a small layer of soil (about 1 centimeter).
- For the best germination of seedlings, create the right conditions for them: the soil should always be slightly moist,it must not be allowed to dry out; good lighting; comfortable warm temperature.
- Already after 20 - 25 days, the first shoots will appear. From this point you need to increase the air temperature to 20-25 degrees.
- Already with the advent of the first true leaves, seedlings need to be transplanted into another box so that the distance between the plants is at least 2-3 centimeters.
- By the end of May, strawberries are ready to grow in the open field. Plant it should not be very deeply falling asleep apical bud.
If you already have ready seedlings, dealing with planting and growing will be even easier. We offer to learn the main points how to plant strawberries seedlings.
- Before planting, seedlings should be kept in a cool place for just under a week;
- if the roots are too long (meaning more than 10 centimeters), they need to be cut;
- plant the plants in a shady place;
- when planting, ensure that the root collar of strawberries is located at ground level;
- the distance between the seedlings should be at least 10 centimeters, and between the beds from 40 to 70;
- just remember that after planting it is necessary to water and mulch the land.
Now you know how to plant strawberries.