How to play the drums?
Music, and especially music played live, is what has the strongest influence on a person. Having passed through its centuries-old life, music today is a combination of performing skills of the highest level, high technologies in the field of sound recording and sound design, as well as serious business for the development of musical styles and individual performers. The speech in our article will go about how to begin your way to the future drummer. So:
How to play the drums and what do you need for this?
The subject of our conversation will be the usual drum set, which is a mandatory attribute of any studio. Let's first talk about what it is, and then after going through the basic requirements for the game technique on the installation.
Drum set or "set" (as it is called musicians) consists of different drums, which differ in tone and method of performing the parts on each of them. Here is a list of tools that are the usual attributes of any modern installation:
- Big drum (kick or kick).This tool is on the floor and turned to the musician with plastic, so it stands on the case. Plastic is an area where a pedal is hit. The barrel is played with a foot using a pedal or a double pedal. Particularly clever drummers sometimes use three pedals. As a rule, the right foot is placed on the pedal.
- Snare drum. One of the most important attributes of a drum set, without which it cannot be considered complete. You can't play drums without it. The snare drum is set in front of the drummers at the level of the arm fold in the elbow at a 90 degree angle. Such a statement is necessary to perform a proper and powerful strike on the snare drum. It is usually equipped with a white top plastic and an adjustable tab, which is used to change the sound of the instrument.
- Toms (toms) are drums of a lower tone than the low. They are used by the drummer during the transitions in the composition, during the so-called "breaks". Depending on the style and desire of the drummer, he can set to his discretion from zero to a large number of volumes. The maximum volume limit is the ability of the drummer to reach them to make a full blow. A typical installation is equipped with three volumes of different colors.Above the snare drum, the highest sounding volume, the leftmost tone, and the floor tone are the lowest sounding instrument, except, of course, the barrel.
- Let us turn to the "gland", that is, to the plates. An indispensable attribute of any installation is a hi-hat. Without it, you will not learn how to play drums. It is located near the snare on the left. Only hi-hat has unique properties and structure. The fact is that it incorporates the upper and lower plates. A special stand allows the musician to unclench and compress them, which significantly affects the sound of the hat.
- Another indispensable tool in the "iron" - is ride (ride). This is the largest in diameter plate, which is located to the right of the drummer and gives a gentle, airy and sonorous tone when played correctly.
- Well and a set of plates, such as kresh (crash). This includes various cymbals of any sound and tone. The main plates used by all are the kresh of a different tone, tea (china), and splash.
That's probably all the instruments that drummers use. Let us turn to the principle of playing the drums. It is no secret that a good drummer must have perfect coordination and a sense of rhythm. These two indicators determine the success of a performer-drummer.The principle of the game is as follows. Each composition has its own beat. The most common of these is the beat, which contains 4 beats. Thus, the drummer must complete these four beats correctly in order to play the drums well. Proper filling comes down to such an idea. Barrel performs the first strike in tact for the score of times. Then the game in the barrel may vary. The snare drum creates the rhythm of the composition. The kick in the snare drum falls on a weak beat. Thus, the tact pattern is: 1-barrel, 2-small, 3-barrel, 4-small. To make the composition more swinging and slow, they play this way: 1-barrel, 2-barrel, 3-small, 4-barrel. At that moment, while the musician’s right leg and left hand hit a barrel and a small one, the drummer’s right hand plays any of the cymbals in this way: 1-plate, 2-plate, 3-plate, 4-plate.
Only in this way and in no other way will you be able to achieve a sound similar in composition to the sound during the playing of a professional drummer. A few words about what drumsticks are and how to use them correctly. Drumsticks are two processed wooden bars with tips for playing instruments.The stick should be held at the thicker end, and hit the side where there is a tip. The correct grip of the wand is to hold it not with the whole palm, but only with your fingers. The palm only holds the wand by stabilizing its trajectory. That's right, you need to play drums. Striking a drum can be done in three different ways, depending on the genre and nature of the piece. The first method corresponds to light music, for example, jazz. It is played only with fingers. With the help of the special work of the fingers, the drummer performs light strokes on the plastics of percussion instruments. The second method, which is used everywhere, involves the work of the brush. To strike using the brush and fingers of a musician. Well, the strongest blow that transmits maximum energy to an instrument and extracts a maximum of decibels from it is performed with the help of the elbow or shoulder part of the arm. This method is used extremely rarely and in particular moments of the composition.
We hope that the material presented by us will help novice musicians to master the basics of owning such a multifaceted and complex instrument as a drum set.For those who aspire to the highest level of skill, there is a video like playing the drums.