How to sew a zipper?
Watch the video
There are many different ways with which you can sew a zipper into clothing. Not all seamstresses love this process, because sometimes you have to work hard so that the snake does not pull and looks perfect on a fabric item. For beginners, the question of how to sew a zipper can seem like a real problem that is hard to solve. To perform this operation effortlessly, you can follow a non-standard procedure.
For sewing both conventional and hidden snake you need to prepare:
- a product into which the snake will be sewn;
- tailor soap or chalk.
Sewing zipper in the usual way is easy enough. If the product does not force the snake to hide behind the fabric, you can sew it so that it is visible from the front.
- To perform this operation, it is necessary to attach the front side of one end of the snake to the front side of the edge of the product. The end of the fabric must be initially swept over. Now using a sewing machine to sew, while stepping back from the teeth of a snake 2 mm.
- Next, the snake sewn to the fabric should be turned off and a line should be laid on the front side, retreating from the fold itself by 1 or 2 mm. Following this sequence, you can sew and the second part of the snake.
Snake - decoration
Sew on the snake can be directly on the front side of the product, in which case it can serve as an ornament.
- All seams and gaps are well straightened and smoothed. Turn the fabric over and put a snake on its face in the right place. Further, for evenness, you can use needles or pins, and you can chop the snake to the fabric manually.
- Changing the type of stitching on a sewing machine and putting on it a zigzag or some other finishing pattern, you can begin sewing. The seam that was used to join the parts of the product must be removed after sewing.
If you need to sew a zipper into a skirt, read about it in the article How to sew a zipper into a skirt.
The secret zipper looks very elegant, since it is not visible in the product, so they often ask how to sew a secret zipper correctly so that it is not visible. It is often used both in clothes and bed linen.
- First you need to outline with the help of soap line seam grinding.On it will pass lightning. The edges of the product can be sealed using non-woven fabric, and all sections can be processed on the overlock.
- Next, chop the details of the future product with the help of needles or pins. Now the target line needs to be stitched using a very large stitch. It is worth noting that this seam is removed at the end of all work.
- After this, the gaps of the seam must be well smoothed with an iron. Pins or needles to pin part of the snake face up so that the teeth retreated 1 mm from the seam. Next, flash the stitch using a one-sided presser in the sewing machine. The line should be at a distance of 2 mm from the teeth.
- Now you can connect the two parts of the zipper, zipping it. Buttoned snake to bend over to the other side and chop up with pins about 5 to 7 mm wide. In the place of chipping, a seam is made, but it is worth retreating from the bend by 1 or 2 mm.
- The zipper for the stock can be turned off, and its second side needs to be fixed with pins. Also on the second side should make a line, retreating 2 mm. Next, you need to turn the product on the front side, splitting with pins and outlining the lines of the finishing line.
- It remains to make a line, capturing with a lightning.
- The final stage is to iron all seams and remove auxiliary lines.