How to store leeks?
When creating the right conditions, leeks can be stored for six months without losing their vitamins. How to store leek - our article will tell.
On the beneficial properties of onions, see the article What is useful leek.
Fresh leek storage
- Prepare a box of wood or plastic and fill it with sand about five centimeters;
- In the sand in an upright position, install the onion stalks, filling the space between the rows with a 10-centimeter layer of wet sand;
- Store the drawer in the fridge on the bottom shelf;
- In this form, the leek can be stored for up to six months;
- If the box is large, you can also store it on the balcony, wrapped tightly with a towel or thick cloth;
- During storage it is required to periodically check onions. If you notice dried or rotten stems, they must be removed.
Onion storage in the refrigerator
- Trim the roots and leaves of the onion and rinse the leek in cool water;
- Dry the stems and pack them in plastic bags, making small holes in them for air circulation;
- Onions can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 months.
- Damaged leaves must be removed from the stem;
- Then rinse the onion under water and let it dry in a dark place, spreading it on a clean kitchen towel;
- Next, chop the onion into rings or straws, pack in plastic bags and store in the freezer;
- Frozen onions can be stored all winter.
- Wash the onions by cutting off the damaged leaves;
- Cut the onion into rings or chips and spread on a baking sheet in a thin layer;
- Preheat oven to 50 degrees and dry the onions for 20 minutes. The oven door must be left open, the bow must be periodically stirred;
- Put the dried onions in a fabric bag, tin box or glass jar.
Storage of onions in the basement
- After you have removed the onions from the bed, lightly shake the roots off the ground and fold the plants in a bucket;
- Bury the onion roots in a box of wet sand with the stems in an upright position;
- In this form, onions can be stored all winter in the basement or cellar.