New life of an old suitcase: practical interior decoration
Over time, any apartment is overgrown with a mass of things, with an enviable constancy migrating from one place to another. Throw them also the hand does not rise. A great place to store "small things" will be a good old suitcase, sent for past services not to a landfill, but to one of the mezzanines. If desired, it is easy to turn it into a stylish organizer, inside which everything will be laid out on the shelves. It will perfectly fit into the situation and bring vintage notes into it.
It should be noted that only a hard suitcase can be redone. Rag models for our venture will not work.
In addition to the suitcase will need:
- old prints, maps or wallpaper residues;
- 1.5 cm thick board with a width less than or equal to the depth of the bottom of the suitcase;
- flat brush for glue of medium size;
- 2 types of glue (silicate and for decoupage);
- pieces of skin;
- rivets, bolts, nuts and related tools;
- small wooden boxes or trays that will function as drawers;
- magnetic plate;
- an unnecessary book of medium thickness in a tight binding.
First of all we get rid of the lining. Sometimes it is enough to forcefully pull the pocket or cut the fabric, and then pull.
We turn to pasting the inside of the suitcase. At the beginning we lubricate the base, then glue the paper in one layer and cover it with glue to get the effect of decoupage. It's not scary if the edges of the paper are slightly bulged, and she frowns. As soon as the glue dries, the paper will smooth out. It will take several hours to dry.
We mark the board and cut it into separate fragments. The central rack must correspond to the height of the locker. Blanks for vertical shelves can have an arbitrary length, not exceeding the width of the cabinet. When joining a vertical board with shelves, consider the size of the drawers.
- On one of the horizontal shelves we measure the distance from the edge of the suitcase to the point of intersection with the vertical board. It is here that the groove will be located.
- Make the markup for the groove, which should be a little deeper than the middle of the board. The width of the groove corresponds to the thickness of the board.
- With the help of a saw we make cuts.
- Remove the extra piece, using a flat screwdriver and hammer.
- We use a board with a groove for marking the remaining horizontal shelves.
- Having tried the horizontal shelves to the vertical board, we define the joining points.
- We do on the vertical board the required number of grooves on the same principle.
The basis for the shelves is ready. It remains to glue the boards by analogy with the walls of the suitcase. The internal part of the grooves should not be pasted. After drying, the shelves can be mounted.
We join the shelves to each other on the principle of a puzzle and place the design inside the suitcase. Making markup to determine the attachment points. Freeing the suitcase, we drill through 2-3 through holes for each board. We put the boards in place, adhering to the markup. Fasten them with screws (20 mm), twisting them through the back wall of the suitcase.
Let's make leather handles for boxes. Cut the required number of rectangles.
We mark, and then we drill holes for handles on the front slats of the drawers.
On the skin, it is more convenient to do this with a hole punch.
Fasten the handles with bolts and nuts. If you wish, before this, the front part of the box can be pasted over similarly to the shelves and the suitcase.
Cover the outside of the suitcase with decoupage glue.
We translate the contours of the mirror on plywood and cut it off, taking into account the allowance of a few centimeters. From the front side we paste over the protruding plywood fragments using the decoupage technique. After drying, we attach the mirror with silicone glue (if desired, you can use additional fastening accessories).
The functional elements of the decor will be fixed on the inside of the door folding envelope and magnetic plate.
To create an envelope, you need a hard book cover. The degree of opening of the envelope depends on the angle of the sidewalls, which simultaneously play the role of a lock.
Selecting the desired angle, transfer the outline of the book on the paper. From the edges we make allowances of 1-1.5 cm, and then cut out the template for the corners.
Cut out two leather parts for the sidewalls according to the pattern. Having moistened the skin, we bend the edges in such a way that the curved part corresponds to the seam allowance.
Apply the markup and make holes in the skin for the rivets with a hole punch.
We put pieces of leather on the edges of the book and transfer the markings for the rivets.We drill holes and insert rivets.
It remains to make a loop with a strap, and the envelope is ready.
We place the magnetic plate and the book on the mirror in such a way that the lower corners of the plate and the upper corners of the book are on plywood and partially cover the mirror. We carry out several measurements and fix the distances:
- From the top of the suitcase to the bottom of the plate.
- From the bottom of the suitcase to the top of the book.
Make appropriate marks inside the suitcase. With the help of screws, we attach the magnetic plate and the envelope to the plywood with a glued mirror so that the fasteners do not hook the mirror itself. Hide fasteners under the paper.
Now it remains only to attach the cabinet to the wall and fill it.