Postinor: Is it possible to get pregnant?
The ideal birth option for a woman is a planned pregnancy, which includes an examination of the organism of both parents and a desire to give birth to a healthy baby. Unfortunately, not always we can predict the capabilities of our body. The number of unwanted pregnancies, like alas, the number of abortions, despite the fact that pharmacies have many contraceptives, is increasing every day. What should a woman do if there was a place to have unprotected sexual intercourse (for example, did a condom break or did you forget to take a birth control pill)?
In such cases, many women use a drug called "Postinor". It can not be called a contraceptive in the full sense of the word, since its constant use can lead to very strong side effects, but it is still believed that it comes to the rescue in cases of emergency. Many women with fear think: "So I took Postinor, can I get pregnant after him?" Let's consider the effect of this drug.
Pharmacological action "Postinor"
The drug has a number of features that must be considered when using:
- when using the drug pregnancy can be avoided only in 85% of cases;
- the drug contains levonogestrel - a substance that prevents the release of an egg from the ovary and its fertilization by spermatozoon, as well as the implantation of the ovum into the uterus;
- the first pill must be drunk at 72 hours after intercourse, the second pill 12 hours after taking the first pill;
- if you vomited after taking any pill, you need to take another pill.
After taking the drug Postinor, the probability of getting pregnant is on average 15%, while if the time between intercourse and taking the drug has passed a lot, the probability of fertilization will increase (at 24 hours - 5%, from 24 to 48 hours - 15%, from 48 to 72 hours - 42%).
The onset of pregnancy after "Postinor"
Can I get pregnant after Postinor? Alas, but you can. There are a number of reasons that can trigger pregnancy even after taking this pill:
- taking medications for treating epilepsy, tuberculosis, or fungal diseases;
- taking drugs containing St. John's wort;
- intestinal and liver diseases (for example, Crohn's disease);
- the individual characteristics of the body of a woman.
If the girl is still pregnant after Postinor, you should immediately contact the antenatal clinic to exclude an ectopic pregnancy, and also to make sure that the fetus was not adversely affected. Naturally, gynecologists say that after the use of "Postinor" normal healthy children are born, but once again to pass the examination will not interfere.